Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:59:13 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Tomorrow night’s new episode of Outdoor Wisconsin will have a segment about damage to Dane Co. streams done by last year’s floods. A lot of you can look out of your doors or take a short ride and see the damage-and any recovery-first hand. But it will be a chance for those of us from farther away to hear about the effects of the floods and hopefully to hear what some of the DNR biologists think about the situation.

A few weeks ago, right before the opener, I mentioned that I’d be fishing in Sheboygan Co. after a turkey hunt. There are some first class people on this site-the vast majority in fact-so this won’t come as a surprise: I got an unsolicited email from a DTA member with some very accurate advice about a local stream. I found things exactly as he described. There is some high quality water in Sheboygan and judging from the work being done, it’s getting even better. I don’t want to embarrass anyone by naming him publically, but he knows who he is and can take the credit if he wishes. A big reason why DTA is the resource it is...
thanks 2 users thanked Pete for this useful post.
Gurth on 1/31/2019(UTC), WI-fly on 1/31/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:16:31 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I fish Dane County all the time and honestly see very little lasting damage. Actually, none at all.

A few pools are rearranged and there are missing logjams, but beyond that, I think we were spared for the most part.

Maybe the show will point out what I missed.

To your second point... yes. DTA is a great thing.

People have helped me and I've helped people.

My trout journey has definitely been accelerated and enhanced due to me finding this place. Wish I would have found it sooner.

EDIT: Not that I'm the one that gave the Sheboygan advice. I wasn't. Realized that my post may have implied that in some way.

Just happy that others have been willing to help me and I pay it forward when I can.

Edited by user Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:01:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:43:02 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Yeah only been out once but the local streams that I saw looked fine, surprisingly.

I'd like to get up to the Sheboygan area for smallmouth...not too long of a drive for me and I don't think it's too crowded.
WI-fly  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 5:53:16 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I also appreciate this community. A couple years ago my family and I ventured out to Grand Teton and I connected with one of y'all to get some great info on how/where to find fish there.

Sidenote: Knowing that we were probably going to have several no school days this week, my daughter and I bought a 1000 piece GTNP puzzle that has challenged us the past 4 days.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
trapper  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:48:15 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 38 post(s)
A few decades ago while remodeling the old dnr field station near Sheboygan ,I suggested to fish manager John Nelson to get help from Roger Widner Jr from Avalanche to help with projects. Lakeshore TU embraced his talents and the rest is history.
My old trapline and stomping grounds.
I also stocked bows in creek bt Rivers Edge Nature Center
Get Reel