Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 5:43:33 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Is there a paper book you can order from the WI DNR that shows the trout streams? I'm sure it's online, but I love to see a real paper map.
Sponsor
chiflyguy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:01:17 PM(UTC)
chiflyguy

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Map Guide to Improved Trout Waters of Wisconsin, https://www.amazon.com/d...r_cp_api_i_NB6oCbTM4HE75
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 4:52:50 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 47 post(s)
You can get a trout map book free at most WI fishing license vendors. Happy Fishing!
shebs  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 7:04:06 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I always snag the book from the holiday in river falls (intersection of cascade and main). The regulations book has the stream map included. There's usually a box of em on the window ledge.

Edited by user Monday, January 14, 2019 7:05:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 3:17:44 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 177 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I used to see these printed maps at sports stores. Not so much anymore.

A word about those maps (printed or virtual) for the newbies out there.

The WDNR Trout Stream Maps only show Trout Stream classifications - which is the rating they give a stream based upon it's ability to naturally reproduce Trout. Other factors include available cold water sources, sustained water temperature, water PH and chemistry, threats to stream health such as runoff and pollution, available food sources, etc...

There's no correlation between a stream classification and how well it fishes, or how abundant Trout may be. You may find that some Class I streams are almost inaccessible or unfishable. Also, stream conditions can change quickly. What was a Class I stream the last time they did a survey, may not be now. The flip side to this is that you may find Class II or III streams to be much more fishable than the higher rated ones.

Also, the Trout fishing crowds are more likely to flock to those famous Class I rated streams. We used to call that "chasing the blue lines" - but they changed the map color coding awhile back. Now the Class I streams are green, Class II is light blue, and Class III is dark blue. Never got a good explanation of why they did that. It made a lot of books and maps obsolete overnight. The lower rated streams typically are less pressured.

Anyway, the lesson is don't get suckered in by those maps. Some of my favorite Trout streams were those that I stumbled onto by accident, and are not highly classed. Nearly every valley in the Driftless Area has a stream in it and many of those hold Trout. Get out and explore Class III and unrated water. You might be surprised.

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, January 14, 2019 3:19:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 3:33:15 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I haven’t bothered with the book in a few seasons now as I know just about every stream in the area that I usually fish and find the online map much more useful.

It does bite me every once in a long while when outside my known area and out of cell range and looking for another option.

My guess is that book will soon go the way of the actual “stamp” of trout stamps.

And don’t listen to Bill. Fish only the top ten rated streams in Wisconsin if you want a prayer at catching any trout.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 3:48:15 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 177 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

And don’t listen to Bill. Fish only the top ten rated streams in Wisconsin if you want a prayer at catching any trout.

Just get there really early to find a parking spot next all those out of state vehicles! Wink

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Life of Riley  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 12:25:31 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I did an online chat with the dnr today and the guy is mailing me one:)
WI-fly  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 7:57:53 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Just get there really early to find a parking spot next all those out of state vehicles! Wink

-Bill

Never fish La Crosse County. Total trashcan in terms of fishing. All the fish went upstream to Vernon County or crossed the river to Minnesota. If you see a red Subaru parked along the stream, that guy never catches fish. He's only there to pick up PBR recyclable aluminum.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
shebs  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 12:18:57 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post

Never fish La Crosse County. Total trashcan in terms of fishing. All the fish went upstream to Vernon County or crossed the river to Minnesota. If you see a red Subaru parked along the stream, that guy never catches fish. He's only there to pick up PBR recyclable aluminum.

Stay south of I90. Nothing north fishing north of it RollEyes
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"