Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<585960
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#591 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2018 5:15:30 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Ended the season catching brookies with big-flaked snow falling to the tune of 3 inches of accumulation. Cedars, tamaracks and spruces are beautiful when they’re covered in snow.
Gurth  
#592 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2018 12:42:12 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Well, closing day should have been Sunday if I wanted to end on the highest note.

The front that came through Sunday afternoon changed things dramatically and Monday saw temps 20 degrees colder, strong northerly winds and full sun.

Still caught an absolute pile of fish, but the really large ones were tough (impossible) for me to find and/or entice.

Over 50 to hand on the large stream that I started the day on – most around 11-13 inches with a few pushing maybe 16 - and then I decided to head closer to home so that I wouldn't have a long drive at the end.

Was like early season/winter fishing as the bite was absolutely shut off when I arrived at 4:00. Only managed 3 small trout the rest of the day. This on two of my most productive streams of the season.

The Trout Gods were teaching me humility at the end.

All in all… a very good 4 day closing weekend with a pile of fish caught and a few special ones in the group. I'll post highlight photos at some point.

The weather played havoc with my plans as I wasn't able to hit any of the large water nor most of the old favorites that I had saved for the end. Still cobbled together some good to great fishing on other waters.

Have a couple of other trout things planned for later in the year, but for now… that's a wrap.

Fantastic season and I'm actually glad it's over.

Have a bunch of other things to attend to.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#593 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2018 1:49:39 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Fishing in the snow in October. I suppose up north this isn't that uncommon. But as I was pulling my collar up yesterday against a 30mph wind with low 30s temps, I was pondering how many times I've ever had to consider wind chill factors this early in the fall. Brrrr.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos