Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

40 Pages«<37383940>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#381 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 2:27:38 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Thanks Bill, weird year for sure, but those colors make up for any setbacks! Hahaha Ron
Gurth  
#382 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 9:24:06 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Got out Friday to do lake run fishing for the first time.

Wasn’t quite what I expected and was a whole lot more… all at the same time.

One thing it clearly isn’t, is “trout” fishing. That was probably my biggest failing… approaching the water as if I was on a trout stream. These fish have lived most of their lives in Lake Michigan… why would they behave or hunt like a stream fish?

Also – knew that the salmon wouldn’t hunt and I’d have to try and induce a strike. Was hoping (in vain) that I could get the browns or any steelhead to hunt/hit though. Not so much.

Saw a few salmon as they made their way upstream and was a cool novelty to see so many 2-3 foot fish swimming within a few feet of me. Had a pair of 30 inchers doing a mating dance about 10 yards in front of me over a shallow gravel bar and they drifted to within a couple feet of my boots with no indication or care that they knew of my presence. That encounter alone was almost worth the trip – this first time.

Seeing the fish was also frustrating as I could see that they were there, yet couldn’t get them to take anything – and I threw everything I had at them… Raps, spinners, spoons, jigs…

Other thoughts…

Was pleasantly surprised at how nice the water was considering the urban setting.

Was surprised that most of the fishermen out were of Eastern European stock and clearly not yet first generation Americans. This was also interesting to consider as these men were likely using skill and technique that they learned in their home countries and were probably passed down through generations.

Skill and technique that this noob could have used help with.

That was a big thing… funny to feel like such a noob and novice as I have a decent amount of confidence as a fisherman. I’m no expert, but I do alright.

Not this day. Was a fish out of water on these waters and chasing these fish.

Did manage one, right at the end of the day…

UserPostedImage

Tried to land her with my trout net and couldn’t get it lined up just right due to the size of the fish so eventually just scooped her up like a cradled baby in my arm and then put her in my net to recover.

Phone was acting up and was a tough fish to try and deal with for a photo. No idea on size but definitely larger than my best Driftless brown (23 inch hen) – so largest salmonid to date.

Was interesting and heavy considering what these fish go through to continue their lines and that this former torpedo in the depths of Lake Michigan is now just hanging on for a few more days, having fulfilled her life cycle. Was a moment of awe and respect.

Could have given her to the fishermen upstream from me, but decided to let her find her own fate on another day.

Final thoughts…

I have a lot to learn regarding this kind of fishing and likely need to figure out how to imitate the egg patterns that my European friends were using to some success.

Only one fish on the day, but this day’s value was not measured by fish count or poundage.

Oh yeah… and couldn’t believe the brown that one of the Ruskies had and was taking home. Had to be 20 pounds and maybe almost 30 inches. He also had a really big steelie.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 11/12/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#383 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 9:45:46 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Good stuff! That’s a healthy Chinook for the time and place.

The spawn/bead/yarn game is very complex. Some days you should fish under floats, others bottom bouncing with split shot. Every hole fishes differently. It’s also deadly once it’s figured out, but it takes a few trips. I just prefer having something crush a spinner. That said, I throw nothing but spawn or yarn on the MN shore.

A lot of the Polish and Russian guys floss in my experience. As long as they don’t crowd me, I don’t care too much. It’s a stocked fishery and any fish above the weir won’t spawn successfully. The Salmon are all on borrowed time and they do eat what they take. I wish they let the Browns go but it’s far from a sticking point like a Coaster. BUT, there’s a few of the Euros who play it straight and absolutely kill it every time. If I had the patience, I’d just sit and watch them work for a few hours.

Again, nice fish, a lot of people strike out their first few trips.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#384 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 9:56:29 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Thanks Nick and thanks again for the pre-trip advice.

Here's something else...

Torpedo

Laugh
Gurth  
#385 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 9:58:35 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Oh and believe me, I wasn't happy that they were taking home that brown, but it's their right and not my place to make a stink over it.

I'd be far more upset if it was out of a Driftless stream.
NBrevitz  
#386 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:54:14 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Classic😂😂
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#387 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 1:58:35 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Decided to hit a spot on a river where I like to go after smallies and where I also get cats and bullheads.

No smallies to be found although I thought I had one till I got a better look at it...

UserPostedImage

Laugh

Was honestly surprised, even if it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Was similar to when I got a big northern on a trout stream a couple seasons ago.

Got nothing but brownies and I've fished this spot probably 15-20 times over the years and these were the first trout I'd ever seen there. Have never been there in November though.

I'll take it... why not? Got a few. Nothing big, but beggars and choosers as always.

And this is nowhere near classified water although trout streams do drain into it in certain spots. People fish here probably every day of the year that weather permits.

Had something big on in some fast moving water and it got downstream from me and I didn't think to run along with it in time and the hook popped out in the current.

Don't know if it was a brown, a smallie, a cat or something else - this river is box of chocolates fishing. Didn't get more than a glimpse from about 30 feet away.

Fun to get out and find willing fish although I honestly was hoping for and targeting smallies.

Edited by user Monday, November 12, 2018 2:14:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shebs  
#388 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 2:51:31 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Those are great types of waters to fish this time of year. Chance of finding big browns, and plausible deniability "I'm fishing for smallies" LOL
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
Gurth on 11/12/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#389 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 3:38:33 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Those are great types of waters to fish this time of year. Chance of finding big browns, and plausible deniability "I'm fishing for smallies" LOL

Lol.

I have several unclassified streams that I hit for just that purpose and I have my plausible deniability ready to go. Laugh

Hit one last weekend and got a few and it scratched the itch.

This honestly isn't one of them though and is just downstream from where I got a 5-6 pound channel cat during this past summer. I actually like targeting other species of fish... especially bass and pike.

Probably going back again soon though now that I know of certain possibilities...

Edited by user Monday, November 12, 2018 11:22:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#390 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 3:42:33 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Great stuff Gurth! Good job for your first outing in the urban jungle.

The fisheries around Milwaukee are pretty amazing considering you're right in the city. They routinely take huge Lake Trout right along the harbor entrance and the breakwater. Even Muskie are being caught downtown as they move up and down the lake shore chasing bait fish.

Even though I live just minutes away, I've never much felt the itch to fish for those lake run monsters. Just finding a spot to fish when the run is on is like locating on street parking for a Bucks game. You have to have thick skin and city smarts to be successful. I enjoy the peace (and relative quiet) of the SW Wisconsin Driftless too much.

Well done!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 11/12/2018(UTC)