Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HookJaw  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:17:21 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Love to hear/see some trip reports about these places -- gotta be some DTAers that live by these "new" fisheries...

https://www.outdoornews....32&mc_eid=dd53c22be5

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 12:49:34 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I have fished some of the other spots (not these new ones because they are, duh, new) in Illinois that have the same regulations. They're essentially put-and-take ponds, although as one can see there is a C&R season at the beginning.

The fish are hungry and will take pretty much anything presented to them. I caught about 20 fish in a bit more than an hour on Banana Lake (Lake County) just using a Frank Sawyer Killer Bug - I think it looked like a trout pellet to them.

After season opens the trout get fished out in a hurry, lots of families with kids fishing worms. I'm pretty sure that's the intention of the plantings, so I don't begrudge them cleaning the lake out. I doubt the survival rate into the summer is very high.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Pete  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:21:55 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
A lot of people will try Illinois trout fishing once and then never again. Have you seen the photos of Bennett Springs in Missouri during the trout opener? Shoulder-to-shoulder, combat fishing. It's like that. All for some trout that a week before were living in a concrete raceway eating pellets. In the past couple of years, they've instituted a catch and release fly-fishing-only two week period before the regular trout opener. I think the new places mentioned in the press release are mostly downstate. I've only fished one, much closer to home, and that is White Pines State Park. It's a scenic area and the park has a good restaurant; if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have bothered. As Weiliwen pointed out, the fish are pushovers. They are stocked in a slow moving creek. Make a cast and watch multiple wakes moving toward the fly. Even after being pursued for a couple of weeks, the fish really don't get wise: they get cleaned out pretty quickly after the regular catch-and-keep opener. And there's no harm in that. They are strictly hatchery raised fish and kids and their families seem to enjoy it. I'd rather drive the extra hour or so and chase wild fish in southern Wisconsin or stay closer to home and go after the local smallmouth. Between the stocked trout and the NFL, I can have most bodies of water to myself on a Sunday afternoon from late October on.
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:47:54 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Grew up in Joliet but spent large portions of every summer at our Cabin NE of Eagle River.

Remember coming home and forlornly taking my UL to the creeks near my house... hoping for anything and remembering the little stream jewel brookies that I had been catching up north.

Didn't have bass water near enough to my house although the DuPage was a few miles away. Mom would never have approved of me going there anyway as a couple kids drowned there when I was growing up.

Would be nice if Illinois invested in the small chunk of the Driftless that they have, but I've read articles about that and realize there are obstacles.

I can't imagine going to these put and take ponds. Would rather go after warm water fish than do that.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Buckman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 11:59:14 AM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I saw the title of this thread and got excited for a minute. Being a new resident of IL, I was hopeful that there would be a little hidden gem creek or two along one of the northwest counties. When we moved here, I purposefully looked for a place that would put me as close as possible to trout water and still commute for work. I saw that Piscasaw Creek was one of the few places stocked in IL, but after checking it out once, I never bothered going back and I live within minutes of it. As far as put and take ponds, combat-fishing and crowds...all of that stuff is for the birds. I'd rather hike an extra mile or drive an extra hour to not be a part of that!

Edit: In full disclosure, I'll continue to buy my IL license and stamp and support any trout efforts here in the state as I realize the importance of these places for kids and other folks.

Edited by user Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:13:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

weiliwen  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:25:01 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I have been told, in hushed tones, of unidentified streams along Illinois' border with Wisconsin that have trout. I've never followed through to find or fish them, however.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Pete  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:37:00 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Buckman Go to Quoted Post
I saw the title of this thread and got excited for a minute. Being a new resident of IL, I was hopeful that there would be a little hidden gem creek or two along one of the northwest counties. When we moved here, I purposefully looked for a place that would put me as close as possible to trout water and still commute for work. I saw that Piscasaw Creek was one of the few places stocked in IL, but after checking it out once, I never bothered going back and I live within minutes of it. As far as put and take ponds, combat-fishing and crowds...all of that stuff is for the birds. I'd rather hike an extra mile or drive an extra hour to not be a part of that!

Edit: In full disclosure, I'll continue to buy my IL license and stamp and support any trout efforts here in the state as I realize the importance of these places for kids and other folks.

When you first started posting, I wanted to ask you if you had any experience on Piscasaw. It was rumored to hold some wild, or at least holdover browns. There is a lot of spring flow and it stays cold enough-at least in some places-for trout to survive. A couple of members of my TU chapter had caught fish. There were even rumors of a brook trout-which have never been stocked in there-caught by someone. I did a work day up there once and didn't think enough of the place to return.

As far as trout in Illinois, there are always rumors of fish in the tributaries of the Apple River in NW Illinois. But as Weiliwen mentioned, if they exist, the locations are a closely guarded secret. And the holding water is almost certainly on private property, without Wisconsin's liberal access laws. In the time it would take me to drive to these places on what is likely a wild goose chase, I can be on real trout water in Wisconsin.

For anyone wanting to tangle with salmonids in moving water in Illinois, other than the combat fishing of the put-and-take season, your only opportunity is to fish in the Cook County Forest Preserves in the south suburbs for Winter run steelhead.