Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:42:24 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Good news for fans of Driftless Brewery Company beers!

They're planning a major expansion in Soldiers Grove, adding a taproom and expanded production facilities. Will be a great place to stop after a long day on the Trout streams to enjoy a couple of cold fresh ones.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:44:27 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Very good news indeed. Happy to see a small local business do well, especially when they make BEER!!
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 3:23:33 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

It seems like there's no end to the small brewery/brewpub phenomenon. Every couple months or so another one pops up somewhere. Has to be at least 25 in the Madison area alone. When I lived there in the early 80s, I think there was maybe two. I'm a big fan of Karben4, Ale Asylum and Wisconsin Brewery. So much good beer out there to try.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:43:48 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
i like what i've had from them, but wish i could get it in cans like Hillsboro. anyone know if they have plans for cans?

i hate ordering a craft beer at a bar and it's clearly been sitting there too long. one because more people should explore something other than their one light beer they drink and two because it doesn't taste so great
weiliwen  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:20:15 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
i hate ordering a craft beer at a bar and it's clearly been sitting there too long

+1 on that. I went to some country club for a political party event; the bar there had Revolution Brewing Anti-Hero IPA (about the only decent Chicago micro-brewery) on tap, so I was pretty excited. The beer tasted meh. I've had the same beer at the Revolution Brewery tap room, and it was outstanding, so I know the difference was caused by the time sitting around, ignored by the grey-hairs at the country club.

I just had a nice IPA, Wild Ride, from Sand Creek Brewing. Not as hoppy as many IPA's, but very good tasting. And a neat logo, a sexy girl straddling a hop berry like it was a mechanical bull.

I've said it before, and I'll say it gain. As a native Portlander, and so craft brew snob, Wisconsin has some awesome micro-brews. Beats Illinois all to hell.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
big_river_bum  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:43:21 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
i hate ordering a craft beer at a bar and it's clearly been sitting there too long

+1 on that. I went to some country club for a political party event; the bar there had Revolution Brewing Anti-Hero IPA (about the only decent Chicago micro-brewery) on tap, so I was pretty excited. The beer tasted meh. I've had the same beer at the Revolution Brewery tap room, and it was outstanding, so I know the difference was caused by the time sitting around, ignored by the grey-hairs at the country club.

I just had a nice IPA, Wild Ride, from Sand Creek Brewing. Not as hoppy as many IPA's, but very good tasting. And a neat logo, a sexy girl straddling a hop berry like it was a mechanical bull.

I've said it before, and I'll say it gain. As a native Portlander, and so craft brew snob, Wisconsin has some awesome micro-brews. Beats Illinois all to hell.

i was just in north carolina and tried a ton of new beers. they're a little too reliant on hops and ipa's for my taste, but a new beer is never a bad thing. the 24 year old me wanted all hops all the time. now i'll take a good craft pilsner or belgian ale. wheats are high on my list too.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:45:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked big_river_bum for this useful post.
weiliwen on 5/23/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:40:15 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Yes, one thing about craft beer is that it was never designed to be stored for any length of time. Verses your average macro beer - which has a shelf live measured like decaying plutonium.

There has been a trend among some local craft breweries towards cans. The obvious reason is cost, convenience, and the recycleabiltity (is that word?). Typically glass bottles end up in the landfill along with the bottle caps. But another reason is that cans help remove the threat of UV light from putting an unwanted skunk taste in the beer. I know Wisconsin Brewery and New Glarus Brewing have moved some of their products to cans (including Spotted Cow).

Personally, I always love drinking from a tapped glass over a bottle or a can. The places that clean their tap lines frequently and limit how long a barrel will sit on a line is crucial. A half barrel of Guinness that has been tapped up for a week is crap and should be run down the drain. A properly cleaned glass helps too. I don't mind paying extra for attention to these details - and no, I don't think that's snobbish. I wouldn't tolerate poorly produced fishing gear, why should I put up with a bad glass of beer?

Being of German descent, I'm a lager drinker at heart. But man, I love me a nice Belgian White in the summertime. Crisp and dry. Stop by the Brasserie V on Monroe Street in Madison sometime. They serve up some of the best Belgian beers you'll find anywhere.

-Bill
big_river_bum  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:30:50 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

i think new glarus's moon man in a can is just about the best beer i've ever had
weiliwen  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:34:23 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Stop by the Brasserie V on Monroe Street in Madison sometime. They serve up some of the best Belgian beers you'll find anywhere.

I'm starting a job in Madison June 4 so I'll check it out.

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"