Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:18:41 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

A few weeks ago I decided to try and build a fly rod. I purchased all the materials/components and gave it a shot. The blank is a 7'6" 3wt. The components are all the cheapest I could find. Expectations were low but it actually turned out pretty good. The first day I took it out, last week, I caught a 16-17 bow and a few 13-15 browns. I found that it was a little tough to land the bow on such a short rod and I had to chase him down stream a little!

I built another rod this weekend for somebody who paid for the materials so I could get some practice. It turned out better than the first! I've also been tying hundreds of flies for sale...

So after a little break from the stream I got out after work today. The streams in SE MN are all pretty low and clear making a stealth approach both necessary and very difficult. I caught 3 little browns on the first stream I fished before heading to a bigger river known for fewer, but larger trout. I only managed two fish on this stream. One was tiny and the other decent!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
I remember the rush of catching fish on my first few flies. Catching 'em on a home built rod is similarly awesome. If anybody has been considering building a fly/spinning rod I say GO FOR IT! It really wasn't hard at all! You can't beat an $80.00 fly rod.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
ilikefood  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:31:15 PM(UTC)
ilikefood

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That is very cool you built your own rod! ThumpUp It must be very satisfying to build your own rod. It looks like a very nice rod. Will you build more for yourself?

Good looking fish, too. Must have been fun catching them on that 3 wt.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
DanE  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:44:54 PM(UTC)
DanE

Nice job! My dad dabbles a bit in rod building, but I have not had him build me a flyrod yet. IMO a 7'6" 3wt is the perfect driftless rod. I use mine about 90% of the time.
timberland  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:02:33 AM(UTC)
timberland

I would be interested in where you purchased the materials?
DanE  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:56:04 AM(UTC)
DanE

Jann's Netcraft and Madison River Fishing Company both offer blanks and building supplies. Jann's is less expensive as MRFC is all high end. Just a couple options anyway.
Josey Wales  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:57:37 AM(UTC)
Josey Wales

timberland wrote:
I would be interested in where you purchased the materials?

Great rod! I also have the same question as timberland.
kinni  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:29:57 AM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Nice looking fish and rod! The one and only rod I've ever built was almost exactly like yours - 7'6" 3wt 2-piece with light brown wraps too. I built mine about 20 years ago and still often pull it out and use it. It's a great rod for our small streams.
s.t.fanatic  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:51:40 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I use mud hole for my rod building stuff. I actually have an order placed for some guides that I will be putting on a St. Croix SV5 that I broke a couple of years ago. I have way to much money in that rod. It is second to none for jigging and bait fishing. With the extra fast tip in a 6'3" medium weight rod it just takes a pop or the wrist and they are on. I have been lucky enough to catch trout over 20" on both the jigs I tie and the rod that I built. It's a great feeling.
flyfishingfreak  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 1:09:29 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

always fun to catch fish with rods and flies you make yourself. I like hook and hackle for rod building supplies. mudhole can be good too.
trapper  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:12:41 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
DanE wrote:
Nice job! My dad dabbles a bit in rod building, but I have not had him build me a flyrod yet. IMO a 7'6" 3wt is the perfect driftless rod. I use mine about 90% of the time.

X2 on the 3Wt
Get Reel