Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:56:04 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Anyone turkey hunting soon? Illinois' first season began yesterday, but it was easy enough to forget about that with the snow coming down. I'm hunting the second season, which begins on Saturday. Weather is supposed to be a little more cooperative then. I suppose that matters more to us, the hunters, than it does to the turkeys and other wild life. They're still turkeys whether it's snowing, hot, cold, excessively windy, whatever; they always have a job to do.

Good luck to anyone getting out soon. Post a trip report.
Sponsor
Jared  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:12:30 AM(UTC)
Jared

Good luck Pete. I've got a tag for the second to last season up here, mid-May. Having time to use it will be the big "what if". Dang jobs. I grew up looking down on turkeys a little, but I'm over that, love being in the woods when they're gobbling!
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
mjager0  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:17:49 PM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

I have a tag for up north for the last season in Wisconsin, aka memorial day weekend. Last year I had the same season, but when I got up there the smallmouth spawn was on, and I ended up spending more time on the river than sitting with the shotgun ..... Even saw some toms while fishing... Maybe this year I'll take the hunting more seriously.
- Matt
Instagram
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:50:43 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

mjager0 wrote:
Even saw some toms while fishing...

Should have tried to hook one Laugh
Jared  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:06:28 PM(UTC)
Jared

mjager0 wrote:
I have a tag for up north for the last season in Wisconsin, aka memorial day weekend. Last year I had the same season, but when I got up there the smallmouth spawn was on, and I ended up spending more time on the river than sitting with the shotgun ..... Even saw some toms while fishing... Maybe this year I'll take the hunting more seriously.

If there's any left. Not sure how far north you hunt but they took it hard up there this winter. Normally I hunt back home in NW WI but didn't even get a tag for up there this year.
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
mjager0  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:09:12 PM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

Jared wrote:

If there's any left. Not sure how far north you hunt but they took it hard up there this winter. Normally I hunt back home in NW WI but didn't even get a tag for up there this year.

Yeah I'm a little worried about that as well, I'm going to be in Rusk co and I know it was pretty bad up there this year. If I don't at least see a turkey in the first couple days I'll probably end up getting the fishing rod out again Razz
- Matt
Instagram
big_river_bum  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:32:02 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I start my season tomorrow. VERY excited. Had my Power V HS call in all day, getting some last minute practice in.

Saturday while driving down to visit trapper and the rest of the crew, the gf and I drove past some birds on county II in lax. I pulled a 360 and rolled my window down. popped in a "smoking gun" call and got 4 responses before I spooked them away. they were only about 20 yards off the road. my girlfriend was all like, "that's is awesome!". 3 toms, 2 jakes, and 2 hens

will post a report if I have any success
big_river_bum  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:36:05 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
hunting just up the hill from plum creek

got a bird 6th season last year in the hills above pdc
Richie  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:24:58 PM(UTC)
Richie

I have a tag for the first season - hopefully I'll get a bird down Friday morning then I can get back to fishing.
Woods&Water  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:54:31 AM(UTC)
Woods&Water

Man

I won't be out until season 4. Given weather this weekend I'm OK with that. Good luck everyone!