Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brook1619  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:48:36 PM(UTC)
brook1619

Man

A little report for those trout fisherman who also like hard water fishing! I have been out trout fishing two times this season for a short while with little success. In the years past, I really hit the trout streams early but this season I have been chasing jumbo perch, slab crappie, and bull bluegills instead. Just like KojDads, I had a decision to make but I decided to go after panfish today, instead of pig browns. Hard water fishing has been tuff going this year, but I have always found ways to put fish on the ice. Ice out will more than likely be after the fishing opener, as I measured 30" of ice on my favorite lake! Many anglers are using late ice tactics with little success. The panfish have yet to stage and are still in their mid-winter patterns. I am only mentioning this because there was not one person on the main lake today, that normally sees a few hundred people on a given weekend during the winter. I went to a spot that had produced back in late December before everyone noticed I was there for an extended period of time and would visit the location frequently. This is a downfall of ice fishing, in its hard to keep the crowds away. I spent most of the winter patrolling the lake fishing new gems and would occasionally stop back to this spot to see how the bite was, it was mediocre at best. I decided to head back and try my luck today after giving the fish a couple of weeks since the last permanent was there. I drilled about 6 holes from shore out towards the main basin. I dropped down the Fl-20 and saw nothing but thick red lines ranging from a foot to 6 feet off bottom, JACKPOT! The crappies were back and not a soul in sight! For the next 4 hours, I released over 50 crappies with the biggest a hair over 15 inches! I caught 20 or so in the 11-12 inch range. I would drop the jig down, so it would be 2 feet above the highest fish. A slow rise of the rod and they would charge up and just smack the jig. I ended up drilling holes all over this area about the size of a football field. Every hole I dropped the ducer down, marked fish. It was the best day of the year and most fisherman are gearing up for open water and are missing out on the best fishing of the year. The best part of this situation is the fishing will only get better the closer we get to ice out! Below, is the pic of the slab!

Biggest Fish of 2013-2014 Season
Bluegill: 10 1/4
Crappie 15 1/4
Perch: 13.5

UserPostedImage
I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
Sponsor
kngfsher  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 5:01:11 PM(UTC)
kngfsher

Awesome! Nothing,like iced slabs!
"What do you want to fish for?"
"Trout."
"Why trout?"
"Because there's no better fish to chase!"
Jared  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 8:50:15 AM(UTC)
Jared

I faced the same decision Saturday, been meaning to get back out for some perch, its been a month or so. I have a hand auger (I'm weird, I like the excersise) and it was getting to be a little tough to auger down to the handle and then spud out a couple inches of ice below that to get to the water. I opted for trout and don't regret it, I needed a taste of spring. The perch haven't seen the last of me this winter though.

There's just too much to do and too little time. Once April and May roll around and there's trout, walleyes, turkey and morels, my head just about explodes.

Edited by user Monday, March 17, 2014 8:51:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 2:02:18 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Awesome fish. I had my best day ice fishing this year on Saturday. 150 with 40 keepers. Crappie and Bluegill. Great dinner on Saturday. Lots of ice yet.
KojDads  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 6:11:36 PM(UTC)
KojDads

Man

You really had a good year on the Ice didn't you, thats a chunky looking slab… Do you prefer bluegills or crappie? I love catching slab crappies but I prefer bluegill fillets battered in shore lunch. How deep were you fishing?
I will always trade 20 average sized fish for "the one" 20 plus....
Jared  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:16:11 AM(UTC)
Jared

Not that you asked my opinion KojDads but on the table I rank them 1. perch 2. bluegill, 3. crappie. Now I'm hungry, might have to go thaw out some fillets for tonight.
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
Jared  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:30:44 AM(UTC)
Jared

Mmmmm perch.

UserPostedImage
-Roderick Haig-Brown
KojDads  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:04:58 AM(UTC)
KojDads

Man

Jared wrote:
Not that you asked my opinion KojDads but on the table I rank them 1. perch 2. bluegill, 3. crappie. Now I'm hungry, might have to go thaw out some fillets for tonight.

I forgot about perch... ThumpUp gotta love those fillets couldn't agree more with you Jared
I will always trade 20 average sized fish for "the one" 20 plus....
Jared  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:52:54 AM(UTC)
Jared

Yeah, they're all pretty good though. I like Shore Lunch too. When I get a bunch of perch though sometimes I like them like this:

Salt and pepper the fillets, dredge in a 50/50 mixture of flour and almond flour and fry them in the cast iron in butter. A little lemon if you like that, but not necessary. Oooooh yeah.
-Roderick Haig-Brown
MikeJuran  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:58:54 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Jared wrote:
Yeah, they're all pretty good though. I like Shore Lunch too. When I get a bunch of perch though sometimes I like them like this:

Salt and pepper the fillets, dredge in a 50/50 mixture of flour and almond flour and fry them in the cast iron in butter. A little lemon if you like that, but not necessary. Oooooh yeah.

1/3 flour, 1/3 corn meal, 1/3 pancake batter, salt, pepper and dill weed and fried in cast iron butter ... damn I am hungry now ...
Fly Me A River