Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Finally, And IT Was FUN! Options
trapper
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 1:30:52 AM

After waiting since a Nov. trip to NE Iowa, the damn Trout were hitting dry flys today on a undisclosed stream in Monroe County, Wi. Rich M of Prinston and I started around 10:45. The hot bite was a BWO size 18. Then two young men stomped the creek fishing downstream,almost running with spin gear..grrr. I used a size 18 Hippy Stomper for most of the day. Rich switched to an ant. The trout were NOT agreesive, but we did land about 50, and easy missed as many. Dry fly fishing has started, yet, no hatch in sight yet. Interesting was the fact we found very little caddis attached to the bottom of the rocks.The fish were in good shape. Perhaps others found a black caddis hatch n other streams. It was a great day to be on da crick. Note: the bigger fish did not move or bite and the young Trout stayed hidden. All the fish were one year class of 9-11 inches. For wild Trout raised in the wild, that is 2 1/2 yr olds. An other interesting fact is, we caught nothing in the deeper holes. NO Jigs and Bobbers today.Wonder what the DA fly shop wants for a 100,#16 red Hippy Stompers? Get some..soon All Trout today were Brown's.

Dry or Die/FoamThumpUp
Jigs and BobbersThumbDown

Stream report around central Vernon County is damn crowded.
Drive Fast Take chances, Live Once!

madguy30
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:00:25 PM

I was in Monroe County today--there was action on top of the water, but I never found out what they were hitting. BWO's, caddis, midges...even a griffith's gnat got ignored for the most part. Was pretty funny.

I saw a few caddis here and there, but not the huge hatch I figured would happen. Did get quite a few on a burlap scud, which is probably looking like a caddis these days.

I DID fish the main stem of the Kickapoo last night for the first time--got a 15' brown on a size 18 BWO. First fish on a BWO--was pretty great.