Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kschaefer3  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:59:25 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Does anyone here fish walleye on Mille Lacs? If you do, you have probably seen the lake covered in insects. I have heard them called may flies and lake flies. When there are major hatches like this, the fish generally turn off. It is my thought that they are gorging themselves on the insects. I don't fish for walleye too much anymore, but my dad loves it. I thought it would be cool to tie up some nymphs or emergers for him to match the hatch on Mille Lacs and hopefully haul in some fish when he otherwise may not. To do that though, I need to know what kind of insect they actually are. Does anyone know what type of insect hatches on Mille Lacs? The exact taxonomy would be great if anyone knows that?!?! I know there are tons of them, but really just the 3-4 most prolific hatches that cover the lake. I appreciate any help you can give!
Sponsor
minnphatts  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:53:08 PM(UTC)
minnphatts

Man

I used to walleye fish Mille Lacs quite a bit and I love listening to Walleye guys discuss bugs. Trout guys love the bugs, walleye guys hate them, go figure.

This Mille Lacs thread is a good example: Mille Lacs Fishing Board Mayflies

My entomology skills aren't as hardcore as they should be, but most guys are referring to Mayflies, though there can be any number of hatches going on lakes in early summer just like streams.

Not Mille Lacs, but the Brown Drake hatch was pretty good up near Park Rapids last June. Mostly panfish during the day, but right at dusk things heated up and larger predators began gorging themselves as well. I've never tried it, but I'd imagine you can fly fish any of the bays on the south end with dry/droppers if you can find the bugs and Smallies in close proximity.

http://trustlabor.com/ad.../its-on-like-donkey-kong

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
elmerbond  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:52:57 AM(UTC)
elmerbond

Generally a huge midge hatch around Memorial Day and a hatch of big brown mayflies around July 4. You'll hear locals talk about "fish flies" and "lake flies" with little consistency. The photos on this thread look like the Mille Lacs mayflies. The midges are about 1/2 long and can darken the walls of buildings in a good year. There are legends of cars sliding on the mayflies, but I've never seen them that thick.
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:23:02 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Thanks for the replies!

minnphatts - Off subject, but have you ever fished the Straight? Sounds like it didn't work out on the trip you wrote about, but have you since? I would be curious to try it. Because of the stream makeup, I think the hex fishing can be really good.
minnphatts  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:42:06 AM(UTC)
minnphatts

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

minnphatts - Off subject, but have you ever fished the Straight? Sounds like it didn't work out on the trip you wrote about, but have you since? I would be curious to try it. Because of the stream makeup, I think the hex fishing can be really good.

Some of our friends have a cabin on the SW corner of Lake Belle Taine which is a few miles from the Straight. I did better on my second trip. Didn't make it for the evening Hex, but I got one quickie morning outing there this summer and hope to give it a shot again next year.

It was very weedy later in the summer, but I managed a few fish: Adrift: Straight River
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
kschaefer3  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:33:28 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Cool post! Looks like a pretty sweet river. I may have to make a trip up there sometime and see what comes out to play. Maybe keep it to spring or early summer.
Dullyouth  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 2:29:49 PM(UTC)
Dullyouth

Minnphatts, Your blog posts are always a treat. My old roomate has a cabin on lake Belle Taine! Last May I absolutely hammered the pannies on small spider flies and managed a couple nice pike too, although they are fewer and far between. Nothing better than dry fly fishing for sunnies in a kyak with a cooler full of beer...
CAS0311  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:10:41 PM(UTC)
CAS0311

Man

To minnphatts- I love the picture of the "avid fly fisherman's brain." I saved that one