Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

CLARK VIS 7/8/9 SUPER LARGE ARBOR, BAR STOCK, WATERPROOF FLY REEL Options
EddieRivard
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:35:35 AM

I recently ordered some SA Mastery Textured Series Streamer Express Fly line for my 8 weight fly rod and then it dawned on me that I was going to need a reel to put it on. I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert on fly reels but I own a total of nine and my collection includes reels ranging from two Okuma Sierra Reels that can be picked up for less than 30 dollars to my Ross Vexis that retails for over 300 although I have seen it on sale for 175 on Sierratradingpost.com.

I have always liked the look of "bar stock" reels although there is a part of me that cringes at the idea of spending $165 dollars on an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock Reel.

On an Ebay search last week I decided to place a 91 dollar bid on a CLARK VIS 7/8/9 SUPER LARGE ARBOR BAR STOCK WATERPROOF FLY REEL. The "Buy It Now" price was 101 dollars but I didn't feel like paying that much so I sat on my low bid and was kind of surprised that nobody outbid me. I was also nervous because I couldn't find any reviews of this brand online other than the positive reviews that Ebay supplied.

I was delighted to see a carboard box sitting at my front door this evening when I arrived home from my day of owning the Twin Cities premier locksmith company known as "Lock Squad". After opening the box and examining my new Clark Reel I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I feel that this thing is one of the best deals in all of Fly Fishing.

I am including some photos to complete this review.

Here is a link to the page where you can buy your own.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/...ipg=25&_trksid=p3686
minnphatts
#2 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 4:09:46 PM

Great looking reel!

I also like the look of machined bar stock reels. I have a few of them, but I regularly fish the anodized cast reels as well. IMO for most fishing applications you can't tell the difference from a performance standpoint. The reel is the least important part of the equation for most trout situations. I caught most of my big fish on the cheaper Echo Ion reel last year and have no complaints!
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><